Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Confessions of a disaster slut(Ode 2 Katrina)

Okay.

Hello.
My name is ST., and i'm a disaster slut.
HELLO, ST.

So as soon as Katrina had left a mostly unprepared Florida blinking and stunned by her roughness (she was, after all, at that point only a Category 1 storm, barely upgraded from a tropical storm), i couldn't WAIT 2 c the pics of the damage she was gonna do 2 the Louisiana/Naw'Leans area.
I've always wondered what that is about. Why do pictures of utter destruction and devastation fascinate me...? And mind u-there r different types. Not the pics of man-made horror, not mass murder, or bombing sights-not shyt's not so thrilling (altho-if i'm gonna b honest-old crime scene photo's from the 30's on are qool...).
No-i mean Mother Nature bitch-slapping humanity shots.
The 70-foot yacht upturned in the yard of the modest home, nowhere near water.
The street sign jutting up outta what appears 2b a lake.
The blocks and blocks of rubble, that used 2b a city or town.
I lose myself in pictures like that.
I know it's partially due 2 an inherent awe, respect, appreciation and outright love of this amazing, all-encompassing, humblingly perfect system of things that exists on this tiny blue marble of ours, commonly called 'NATURE".., but there's gotta b more 2 it than that.
Why that almost imperceptable, little...'thrill' at pictures (video moreso, actually) of eartquakes, floods, and tornadoes...?

But i'm NOT a ghoul.
Prayers and wishes 4 wellness go out from me 4 those affected by the latest natural disaster, Katrina.Esp since i've heard that the areas most likely 2 get the worst of her will b the lowest situated places-which-as it turns out-are the poorest neighborhoods.
I've always felt so much sympathy 4 what that must feel like.
I can't imagine how it must feel 2 stand in front of what used 2b a house, YOUR house.., and see only a foundation..
Or drive toward what used 2b ur driveway-ur car up 2 its axles in water-and see a pond where ur driveway used 2 b.
God b with them ALL.

But y'know.., in all honesty..if i could..i'd totally b a storm-chaser.
I absolutely have pictured myself in an SUV, driving at top speed; trying 2 outrun the funnel cloud in the rear view mirror.
I hope someday 2 stand in the middle of a full on hurricane. The rain, the wind, the sheer POWER all around-i almost can't think of anything more EROTIC.
I mean, c'mon!-is there anything more fucking hot then great sex with the windows open during a really bad lighting storm...?
Hah-thought not.

No comments: